Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Emily Haines wears a fucking skirt!"









Emily Haines, what isn't there to talk about? Known for being the girl who wears skirts on stage and once played blindfolded in San Fransisco. Most of the time she's wearing sparkly tights on stage and a shirt with no bra. My first time seeing Haines perform was with her band Metric at the cramped church in Philly. She was wearing a short white lace dress and kept screaming to the crowd "If I jump will you guys catch me.." over and over again. The fans screamed back "Yes we will!" and finally she jumped into the crowd exposing her entire ass. Needless to say she is the love of my life.

Haines Started out singing sultry backup vocals for Broken Social Scene, moved onto fronting for the dead disco Metric, and in 2006 released her first official solo album Knives don't have your back which was a far cry from our beloved Metric but had a sound of sophistication with her eerily good piano skills and that same damn beautiful voice haunting us in the background. Haine's is as charismatic as her music is soft, with a voice like honey. I once had a friend who after hearing her song "Live it out" described her voice as "so sexy it hurts." She's stated numerous times that she would like to be remembered as a sound and has an unhealthy obsession with bottled water and toiletries (hmm sounds familiar.) Usually writing about music in my blog isn't really my ~thing~ but I found this interview with her that I really enjoyed, it's a little long but if you're a fan it's worth reading.

Red Wine and a Frozen Hand: An Interview with Emily Haines

Oh and you know check out the plethora of Emily Haines tribute youtube videos I posted above! Xx

No comments: